FACTS ABOUT DENGUE FEVER
1. What is dengue fever?
Dengue fever is caused by the dengue virus. It is spread by the bite of Aedes mosquito. It is estimated that there are over 100 million cases of dengue worldwide every year.
2. How do I know if I have dengue?
Patients will experience signs and symptoms 5-6 days after the mosquito bite:
- Back pain
- Painful joints
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sore eyes
3. What will happen if I do not get treatment?
Dengue fever consists of dengue fever or dengue hemorrhagic fever, which can be fatal. Dengue fever has signs of bleeding in the upper as well as:
- Easy bruising
- Bleeding under the skin, in the nose or gums
- It may be followed by bleeding throughout the body which can be fatal
4. What is the treatment for dengue fever?
There is still no specific treatment for dengue fever. Patients who experience signs and symptoms of dengue fever should seek medical treatment. Fever patient is given medication and advised to rest and plenty of fluids. The patient will be admitted to the ward where suspected dengue haemorrhagic fever.
5. What should I do to prevent dengue fever?
There are various ways to prevent dengue fever:
a. To ensure that no mosquito breeding
- Discard containers that can hold water
- Make sure the water tank, water catchment container with lid closed
- Make sure the flower pots and containers watershed removed at least once a week
- Make sure roof gutters are always flowing
- Fish in ponds to reduce mosquito larvae
b. Use bug spray to kill mosquitoes
c. Take steps to protect themselves to prevent mosquito bites like
- Make sure windows and doors are always closed
- Apply repellent on exposed to mosquito bites member
- Wearing light-colored clothing with long sleeves and long pants when out of the house
- Put drug mosquito coils and electric mosquito repellent in enclosed areas
Source: Portal myHealth